Monthly Archives: April 2023
PRINCETON/NSAI SUGGESTED SONG FEEDBACK GUIDELINES
Questions to ask yourself, not only as you write, but also after and definitely BEFORE you submit your songs for review.
What is your goal for this song?
If you were hearing this song for the first time, does the melody grab your attention from the beginning and set the tone for the song?
Is there a strong lyrical beginning that captures your attention?
Does the writer approach the idea in a unique and fresh way?
Are the lyrics descriptive and clear; showing rather than telling to paint pictures that progressively build upon the theme of the song?
Does the melody and lyrics serve the title and theme of the song in verses, chorus and bridge enough to make the title memorable?
Is there a easily understood and memorable hook?
Is there a good marriage between the lyric and melody (Prosody)?
Is the intro and outro too long, and is the entire length, structure (etc.) appropriate for the target genre playing on the radio today?
Does the song evoke an emotional response?
If you were a first-time listener, would you be enticed to listen to the song more than once?When you can unbiasedly answer YES to these questions, you will be on your way to professionally writing
Princeton Songwriter’s/NSAI Chapter Challenge
If you’d like to win a trip to Nashville, please read the following invitation carefully.
It was great meeting all of you at last month’s meeting.
Our next meeting is a big one! April 18, 2023 will be the annual Chapter Challenge! If you’re not yet a member, it’s a good time to join! You can join for the year, or month to month:
111 West Second Street
Moorestown, NJ, NJ 08057
Time: 6:45 – 8:45 pm
Every April the Nashville Songwriters Association International (NSAI) hosts the “NSAI Chapter Challenge.”
NSAI members in Local Chapters across the globe have an opportunity to submit one pre-recorded song at their local Chapter meeting to participate!
Participants must be a current NSAI member and “affiliated” with a Chapter where they wish to attend and submit for the Chapter’s April meeting. (“Affiliated” means you have joined a Local NSAI Chapter and receive information and participate in that Chapter’s activities.)
To find and join a Local Chapter near you, please follow these steps:
- go to – https://www.nashvillesongwriters.com/chapter-search
- click the name of the Chapter you are interested in
- That takes you to the Chapters Profile page
- You will see the Chapters information, including a teal button (pic for reference below) that says, “Affiliate With Chapter.”
- Click “Affiliate with Chapter” to join and you’re all set!
- The winning NSAI Member chosen will receive:
- An all-inclusive trip to Nashville including:
- Roundtrip flight, 2-night hotel stay (exclusions for dates of travel apply)
- A curated Nashville, Music Row, experience – exclusively customized for each writer, specific to their individual talent, inspirations, and goals
- Lunch with NSAI Staff
- Meet with Performing Rights Organization the winning songwriter(s) is affiliated with
- Meet with Publisher that’s in alignment with the songwriter’s style
- Featured spot for on a local writer’s round – “Smokin’ on the Row” at Bobby’s Idle Hour
- Travel is for two days and two nights (exclusions for dates of travel apply)
- Must be booked at least two months in advance and scheduled between Monday – Thursday.
- The two winners will also be honored on NSAI socials, as well as at the 2024 NSAI Membership Awards
- The Top 20 will receive:
- In depth Song Feedback by Professional Songwriter & NSAI Team
- Exclusive Online Pitch Event with a Music Row Publisher
- Recognition on NSAI Socials and website
- No live performances will be accepted.
- Songs cannot be co-written with a professional songwriter.*
- Songs under/pending contract are not eligible for submission.
- Members cannot vote for their own song.
- Non-members cannot vote or submit a song in the competition.
- Voting must happen at the Chapter meeting — NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Late submissions will not be accepted.
Questions? Let me know!